The Department of Health Research was created as a new Department under the Ministry of Health & Family Welfare vide Presidential Notification dated the 17th September, 2007 by an amendment to the Government of India (Allocation of Business) Rules, 1961. The Department has been allocated 9 new functions to promote health research activities, besides the ongoing work relating to the management and administration of ICMR.
Government of India, in June, 2013, vide sanction order at approved the scheme for 'Establishment of Multi -Disciplinary Research Units (MRUs) in the Government Medical Colleges/Research Institutions' during the 12th Plan period as a path- breaking initiative to develop/strength the health research infrastructure in the country to fulfil the newly allocated function of the Department related to the "Promotion, Coordination and Development of Basic, Applied and Clinical Research".
Objective of the scheme:
The objectives of the present scheme are to:
- Encourage and strengthen an environment of research in medical colleges.
- Bridge the gap in the infrastructure which is inhibiting health research in the Medical Colleges by assisting them to establish multidisciplinary research facilities with a view to improving the health research and health services.
- To ensure the geographical spread of health research infrastructure, in order to cover un-served and under-served Medical Colleges and other institutions.
- To improve the overall health status of the population by creating evidence-based application of diagnostic procedures/processes/methods
Major functions of the MRUs
- To undertake research in non-communicable diseases and other need-based research as recommended by the Local Research Committee/Expert Committee of the DHR employing newer tools.
- To promote and encourage quality medical research in the Institution.
- To constitute the local research committees for identifying the research priorities and projects with participation of State health system officials.
Major functions of the MRU - SMIMER
In the fulfilment of this vision, the MRU- SMIMER Surat will aspire to:
- The SMIMER – MRU will also train and disseminate the best clinical practices and offer practical solutions in all rural and urban facilities.
- Provide the premier level of patient associated translational research.
- Work with integrity and passion to accomplish the mission of high quality health research.
- Seek innovative, holistic solutions to nationally important health issues in collaboration.
- MRU-SMIMER will be bound by natural responsibility to study the non-communicable diseases that require answers and that which will aid planning, technology and expertise transfers and provide informational resources, educational and technical assistance that could bridge barriers in implementing a modern, affordable and sustainable model of health care delivery based on sound principles of quality.
Agency for Implementation of the Scheme
The scheme will be implemented by the Department of Health Research (DHR) with the technical support of ICMR.
Funding/Financial Assistance for the project
One time financial assistance upto Rs. 5.25 crores will be provided to each Government Medical College/Institution for setting up of modern biological lab/multi-disciplinary research unit. This will include Rs. 5.00 crores towards equipment and Rs.25 lakhs for minor civil works for modifications/renovation in the space to be provided by the State Medical College.
Three projects that are approved by ICMR and Local Research Advisory Committees (LARC) are under progress.