Smimer Hospital is continuously striving to emphasize on the Mission and Motto of the Hospital in order to:
- To ensure patient and employee safety
- To ensure service affordability and accessibility
- To ensure patient confidentiality
- To ensure quality medical services delivered to our patients
- To educate patients about their rights and responsibilities
- To train the staff to update their skills
- Constantly strive to improve patient satisfaction index
- Improve the quality perceived by the patients
- Improve medical care efficiency
- Promote self evaluation
Detailed planning has gone for creating world class infrastructure and procuring cutting edge technology for the department. The high-class modular operation theatres enable surgeons to conduct the most advanced and complicated surgical procedures. The surgical team is assisted by sophisticated diagnostic services and well equipped Intensive Care Units (ICUs) manned with qualified senior consultants to ensure better outcomes.
The Institute acquired the first laparoscopic surgery set in 1992. This expertise is now available to all the general surgeons who have included video endoscopic surgery in their armamentarium and have a high level expertise not only in biliary tract surgery but the other allied problems tackled by minimal access surgery methodology. This Institute has an extensive experience in doing laparoscopic hernias. The extraperitoneal approach (TEP repair) has now been taught to a large number of surgeons. The expertise in minimally invasive surgery in colo-rectal disease is being pursued with vigour. The special units with consultants taking interest in areas like thyroid surgery, breast surgery and colo-rectal surgery have also been demarcated. Three special clinics are being conducted in the Institute of general & laparoscopic surgery.
- Breast Clinic
- Colo-Rectal Clinic
- Thyroid & Parathyroid Clinic
Alongwith it, endoscopic genitourinary and reconstructive urosurgery,pediatric urology and surgery ,neurosurgical procedure as well as plastic surgery procedures are also available and performed by respective superspecialists.
Scope of Services
- Colorectal reconstructive surgery
- Diagnostic and therapeutic laparoscopies
- Sphincter preserving surgeries
- Stoma counselling and stoma care clinics
- Surgeries for inflammatory bowel disease including reconstructive surgeries
- Advanced treatment for piles (hemorrhoids) including minimally invasive and Doppler guided surgery (HALS)
Endoscopy Unit at smimer Hospital’s aim is to provide a diagnosis and treatment for people with symptoms of upper and lower Gastrointestinal problems. The department benefits from a Consultant body of Gastroenterologists and Surgeons who perform procedures, assisted by highly skilled endoscopy nurses on inpatients and outpatients. The department’s services are available to adults and to paediatrics as out patient and inpatient service. Equipped with THREE State of art advanced endoscopic theaters compatible for all kind of GI diagnostics and therapeutic procedures.
Procedures Performed In Endoscopy
- A Gastroscopy is a very quick telescopic and visual investigation which allows for viewing of the oesophagus, stomach and upper section of the small bowel by the passing of a flexible tube through the mouth. Sedation is given if desired.
- A Colonoscopy allows for viewing of the lining of the large bowel with a flexible tube. You are required to take medication the day prior to your procedure to cleanse your bowel. You will be given sedation during the procedure.
- Sigmoidoscopy Allows for examination with a flexible tube to the left side of your large bowel. You may require an enema to be given on arrival to the department prior to your investigation.
- Proctoscopy is an examination of the rectum using the flexible scope.
Most patients recuperating immediately after elective or emergency surgery receive around-the-clock care in the 8 beded Intensive surgical Unit (ISU). Critically ill and some surgical patients are cared for in the intensive care units. A collaborative, multidisciplinary team of health professionals cares who are recovering from conditions that require surgical intervention. attending doctors with experience in critical care rotate for 24-hour coverage of the ISU, alongside a nursing staff.
Multidisciplinary Approach To Care ISU
The medical and nursing staff, including clinical nurse specialists, collaborates with a multidisciplinary team of health care providers who contribute their skilled care in:
- Respiratory therapy
- Physical, occupational and speech therapy
- Clinical nutrition
- Mental health
- Case management
Laparoscopic Surgery LAPAROSCOPIC SURGERY
The Institute of General & Laparoscopic Surgery pioneered the start of laparoscopic surgery in the institution in 1991 and maintains its leadership due to continuous internationally acclaimed innovations and development of new techniques. Laparoscopy has allowed surgeons to perform the same procedures as in traditional open surgery, using small incisions (keyhole surgery) instead of large incisions. Major benefits of these surgeries are no large scars, reduced postoperative pain, reduced hospital stay, quicker return to normal physical activities and early return to work.
The highlights of colo-rectal surgeries are developing newer investigations and therapeutic techniques in the surgeries for piles, fissures, fistulas and carcinoma rectum. Advancing the imaging techniques have resulted in the performance of advanced anal surgeries of Stapled Anopexy and STARR.