Department of ENT at SMIMER is guided with following Aims and Objectives. It being called Otorhinolaryngology and Head and Neck Surgery department. Various aspects of this subject are covered.
- Various pathological conditions of ear are diagnosed and treated.
- Deafness is assessed and measures for its cure taken. OAE detects neonatal deafness also. Sound proof audiometry room with PTA, IA, BERA facilities are available.
- Diagnostic nasal endoscopy clinic twice a week for nasal conditions like obstruction, chronic sinusitis etc and related otitis media.
- Rhinoplasty for functional and aesthetic purpose done.
- Repair of CSF leak in case of CSF rhinorrhea.
- Endonasal dacryorhinostomy done for epiphora cases.
- Hoarseness of voice cases assessed clinically as well as with fiber-optic flexible laryngoscopy. Microlaryngeal surgery also done. Speech therapy provided.
- Apart from these all routine surgeries are performed.
- Round the clock emergencies attended, tracheostomies, foreign body from various sites (ear, nose, bronchus, larynx, and esophagus) removed, epistaxis, RTA all are managed efficiently.
- Head and neck cancer incidence is high especially oral cancer due to use of tobacco, gutkha,sopari etc. Cancer detection and its management OPD is run specially on Saturday andcontinued in follow up daily.
TNM staging and accordingly surgical management is done. Help of oncosurgeon and plasticsurgeon for reconstruction is available. Patients are referred for radiotherapy and chemotherapy at referral centres. Hence a bulk of Head and Neck cancer is treated.
- Patients are also motivated for avoidance of tobacco etc.
- Daily outdoor and operative session meticulously deals with all ENT care.
- This being a teaching Institute our target is to nurture academic interest in our students, train them during residency, and give them enough clinical as well as operative experience to turn them into good ENT surgeons.
- Regular teaching sessions in form of seminars, clinics etc. are conducted.